The world of Indonesian environmentalists/management scientists is mourning. One of its biggest activists, political endorsers, practitioners, and academia has gone. Prof Surna Tjahja Djajadiningrat, a.k.a. Prof Naya, has died at age 69. He died at Harapan Kita Hospital, Jakarta – Indonesia, on Monday, 25 August 2014, at 11.30 P.M.
Prof. Naya is one of my strongest mentors, and the God has planned to tie me to him since the beginning of my journey in this world.
May Allah give him blessings and grant him peace. May the God make him among the inhabitants of jannah and may He spare him from the punishments jahanam and the grave. Even though you didn’t know Prof. Naya, please, take the time to make a sincere due for him. May the God make both dunia and akhirat easy for us and help us through hard times. Aamiin.
Prof. Naya’s profile
Prof. Ir. H. Surna Tjahja Djajadiningrat, M.Sc., Ph.D. (born in Jakarta, 01 September 1944), a.k.a. Prof. Naya, was a Professor of Environmental Management at the Bandung Institute of Technology (Institut Teknologi Bandung – ITB). In 1982 he obtained his PhD in Economics of Natural Resources and Environment from the University of Hawaii, the United States of America. Before he obtained his MSc in the University of Hawaii in 1980, he obtained his Bachelor of Engineering (S.T.) in Industrial Engineering from ITB in 1972.
He was one of the founders of School of Business and Management, Institut Teknologi Bandung (SBM-ITB), and served as its Dean in 2004-2009 administrative term. At the SBM-ITB, he was an Expert in Business Ethics & Social Responsibility, and joined the People & Knowledge Management (PKM) expertise group. His research interests were Business Leadership, Business Ethics & Social Responsibility, and Business Economics. Besides, he was a member of the School Council of SBM-ITB, served alongside Prof. Kuntoro Mangkusubroto.
Since 1988, he climbed to the top of his career at the Ministry of Environment, Republic of Indonesia, until 1999. Besides, in 1993-1998 he also served as the Representative of Ecological Affairs for People’s Consultative Assembly of the Republic of Indonesia (Majelis Permusyawaratan Rakyat Republik Indonesia, MPR-RI). As a high-ranking official, he had ever served at the Department of Energy and Mineral Resources as the Head of Agency for Training & Education in Energy and Mineral Resources (2001-2003). Also, he had ever become the Director General of Mining (2000-2001) and an Expert in the Environmental Issues in Mining for the Minister of Mining and Energy (1999-2000). Besides, he joined National Research Council (2000-2004). Later, although he began to struggle against his health decline he came back to national limelight as the Chairman of Advisory Council for Corporate Performance Improvement Program in Environmental Issues. Until the end of his journey, he was a member of Advisory Council for Indonesian Project on Climate Change.
- Advisory Council for Corporate Performance Improvement Program in Environmental Issues (since 2005)
- National Research Council (2000-2004)
- Head of Agency for Training & Education in Energy and Mineral Resources, Department of Energy and Mineral Resources (2001-2003)
- Director General of Mining, Department of Energy and Mineral Resources (2000-2001)
- Expert in the Environmental Issues in Mining for the Minister of Mining and Energy (1999-2000)
- Deputy Head of EIA and Technical Assistant, Agency for Environmental Impact Management (Bapedal) (1998-1999)
- Member of Delegation “Rio meeting (1997)” – United Nations (1997)
- Assistant Minister for Coordination – State Ministry for the Environment (1993-1998)
- Head of Senior Official on Environment: South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), United Nations Environmental Programmes (ESCAP), Global Environmental Facilities (GEF), Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD) (1993-1998)
- Member of Delegation “Preparatory Committee Meeting” World Conference on Sustainable Development (1991-1992)
- Assistant Minister in the Department of Information, Communication, and Community Participation – State Ministry of Population and Environment (1988-1993)
- Staff for Assistant Minister – State Ministry of Population and Environment (1984-1988)
- Professional Associate EAPI, The East West Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (1981)
- Research Assistant Environment and Policy Institute (EAPI), The East West Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (1979-1980)
- Research Assistant Technology Development Institute (TDI)-The East West Center, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (1978)
- Research Associate Development Technology Center (DTC) – ITB (1972-1996)
Thoughts & Legacies
- 2011 – Ekonomi Hijau (Green Economy)
- 2009 – The Power of Love: Rekayasa Sains
- 2009 – Manajemen sebagai Unit Keilmuan Serumpun. Book Chapter: Apakah Manajemen adalah Sains? [SBM-ITB]
- 2005 – Sustainable Future : Menggagas Warisan Peradaban bagi Anak Cucu [Indonesian Center for Sustainable Development]
- 2005 – Pengantar Ekonomi Lingkungan [LP3ES]
- 2004 – Kawasan Industri Berwawasan Lingkungan (Eco-Industrial Park), Fenomena Baru dalam Membangun Industri dan Kawasannya Demi Masa Depan Berkelanjutan [Rekayasa Sains]